Monday, October 16, 2006

Day4: Baby Squid!!!

****I posted 2 blogs tonight, so you should probably read the one before this first, or you might feel a bit lost!!! Thanks, Andrea.**** Hey it is me again! I missed Robby’s phone call today. I cried (like the bunny)! It was so frustrating, I walked outside to check the mail and he called while I was out. He hung up the phone right as I walked in the door. What bad timing! He still hasn’t figured out his calling card. He borrowed his teacher’s cell phone to call and tell me that he is sick. Poor boy, he said he must have gotten a little too carried away eating all of the delicacies people were making for them. I got to talk to him online tonight for a little while. It is Tuesday there already and he was getting ready for his day. I am going to post parts of our conversation for you guys to read. I think it will just be easier than retyping the interesting things he said! Some parts might read a little strange, because I have cut out things and edited it just like I did his email that I posted. For those of you who don’t use instant messenger, what I copy to the blog will read like a conversation. The person who is “speaking's” name is written in bold before what they are saying. I hope it is not too confusing to read. I think it gives everyone o pretty good idea of what is going on with Robby. Well, it is late and I am going to go to bed now. Good night everyone. This is what Robby had to say about the food and what he is doing right now...... Robby: Last night I was so tired that I fell asleep at 8:30 with my shoes on. I woke up at 7:00 this morning, maybe it is the jet lag? Me: yeah it is probably jet lag. you know it is only 545pm on monday here, your Circadian rhythm is all messed up! Robby: my what? are you making up words, that sounds chinese me: are you still feeling sick? did you throw up? Robby: yeah, i feel pretty bad, I just bought like 5 bottles of water, they don't drink much water here. lots of tea. Things are very cheap here, kind of amazing-25 cents for bottled water Robby: I've gotten pretty good with chop sticks too me: way to go! Robby: no forks or knives here, I still haven't seen any other white people me: wow…really? Robby: Last night I ate tiny little squids, with the tentacles and everything, bite size me: ill have you a bunch of good groceries when you get home and ill cook you a good meal every night! me: oh, yuck robby, yuck! Robby: all the fish still have their heads me: you are making me queezy, i would die of starvation if you moved me to china! Robby: the thing is that they normally just eat rice and vegetables, which is pretty good, but at the banquets they want to be impressive, with all these traditional foods me: so are you not going out with the group today? i have been keeping up with your schedule and stuff. today: Tianjin university Robby: we are free until 3:30, when we are going to an art school, before then a big group of us are going to the site Robby: oh, and don't worry about the police escort, everything is very safe here me: good! it is still cool though that you guys had one. celebrity man! what are you guys designing? Robby: They are just very ashamed of these little villages (not what they feel a modern city should be) we had the escort to keep us looking at all the impressive modern, architecture! they are tearing down gigantic sections of housing at one time, we are designing housing and commercial stuff to replace it me: I googled tianjin and saw some pretty cool looking buildings. some of them looked pretty modern to me. are they really going to use your stuff? Robby: I don't think so me: well, they will probably at least look at it Robby: But they are very interested, at the school yesterday they had a gigantic banner that said "welcome students from UC Berkeley in Chinese me: wow that is cool. im glad they are happy to see you guys, that makes it fun for everyone