Monday, October 16, 2006

Day 3: Emails from Robby

Hey everyone! This is a billboard that Robby and I thought was really funny. I’m not sure why. It is very close to our house. Maybe it just seems so strange. Most of the billboards out here are about not letting your kids be fat and how you should be buying organic foods. Anyways, that has nothing to do with why I am posting. I just wanted to let you guys know that I heard from Robby. He is having a really good time. He can’t figure out how to use his calling card, so we have been staying in touch through emails and instant messaging! It sort if feels like high school all over again! He gave me permission to copy parts of our conversations and emails to the blog so you guys can hear a little about what he has been doing in his own words. So, here is part of the email I got from him yesterday. I have cut and pasted only parts of it, but I think that what is written makes sense. In the email he is talking about Sunday when he says yesterday, and Monday when he says today. I know that seems weird, but he is a day ahead of us! Robby wrote: “well, yesterday was the strangest day of my life, seriously. We woke up and walked around, everyone was on bike and I think the people in the cars were trying to hit them. As soon as you walk off the main road where all the skyscrapers are, you are in the slums, or maybe they aren't slums. Sewage is every where, piles of trash, big animal carcasses are hanging up in the windows. This is where people live, restaurants are here also. We are like celebrities here-not tourists. I haven't seen any other white people. The government took us on a tour yesterday on a bus, with a police escort! we are a huge group and people crowd around us everywhere that we go. people welcomed us into their tiny houses, and we took pictures of everything. (I filled my card, so you'll have plenty of things to see) They took us out for dumplings at lunch, and rolls for dinner. I ate sea cucumber, whole fish, pig neck and stomach? It was crazy. People toasted us, sang to us at dinner, and gave us little presentations. What a weird place. Kind of western, but only on the surface. Today we are starting the design stuff, we looked at the site yesterday. There is huge construction everywhere, right next to all these people living in poverty. The city officials seem embarrassed that their people still use the bathroom in chamber pots, and they are planning on tearing down and rebuilding all of those people homes (which is a good thing). "