Just something we're trying to do to shorten the distance and keep in touch!
Tuesday, October 23, 2007
Fires in Southern California
Military helps fight fires while personnel evacuated - CNN.com*
This is the biggest fire California has seen since 1993. It is amazing to me that a fire could be so huge and so out of control that we can't do anything to stop it. I am so glad that more people haven't been killed, but I am worried that the worst isn't over. It has been so dry here this summer, allthough I have heard you guys have been pretty dry too. The problem out here isn't that there is no rain, it is that there is also no humidity and the winds aren't helping us either. I read that the humidity in Southern California is only 16% right now. Today it was really hot here. I was so miserable outside. I think it was at least 85. I know that doesn't sound too hot, but when you have no layer of humidity stopping the sun it feels like 100 degrees! I went walking with some friends for a couple of hours and got burned! The Oakland Hills burned here a couple of years ago. The older nurses in the hospital told me that they can remember watching them burn from the windows of the ICU. That is the scary thing about being a nurse, when disaster hits I can't run away with everyone else! Speaking of being a nurse, I got to help someone today. A girl got something caught in the spokes of her bike and flew over the handle bars into the road. She was unconscious for a little while, I stopped her from bleeding with a t-shirt, checked her out, and held her head still until the ambulance came to get her. It was kind of strange, but I think she will be just fine. I work tomorrow, maybe I will get to see how she is. Anyways, I hope you guys have a great day.

